Thursday, May 31, 2012

Taking over the lounge room

The size of this quilt is scaring me, it's bigger than our living room rug! That's AFTER I trimmed those edges - I'm glad I did and it was pretty easy thanks to my square ruler.

I'm so intimidated to quilt this on my sewing machine since I have only quilted cot sized quilts before. I am considering doing it in two pieces and then joining them - kind of a quilt as you go technique. I know I read a blog last year where the quilt was quilted in 3 pieces and joined together - I just can't remember where it was.

Maybe I should just wait until I get my new, bigger, fancier sewing machine. I've got time to think about it as the batting won't be here for a few weeks since it's on backorder.

Anyway, I've got the blocks labelled into rows and ready to piece together. Does anyone remember reading the tutorial I mentioned or something similar?

7 comments:

  1. Whoa! That is big! Sorry I don't know of the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a tute on running with scissors, but mum has free motioned queen size before on a standard machine with no prob. I've done regular quilting on a queen with a reg machine. It's all in how you roll the quilt. just start, you'll be fine. I also pin my blocks to an existing quilt and roll it up in between the final piecing, just incase I need to pack it away before finishing,

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you do quilt in pieces do it in three not halves. The halfway line will be in the middle of your quilt whereas if you do it in 3 pieces the join marks won't be as obvious. I haven't seen the tutorial you mean but it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks wonderful. I don't know the tutorial, sorry. But however you end up quilting it it will be lovely. I get scared of huge quilts and usually end up hand quilting them which takes a billion years...so I don't think I'd recommend that. But I love your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out the Lily's Quilts flickr thread, when we did the dresden QAL there was a lot of talk about QAYG, as the blocks were huge! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. those bowties look great - love the way you've placed them - can't help out on the quilting issue but I've heard that having a small table next to you helps with the weight of the quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure it will look great and you will do a great job quilting it. I would love to see how you decide to quilt it.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! Thanks for stopping by.